Street Naming and Numbering


General Procedures

It is the council’s statutory responsibility to ensure that all new properties are officially registered and existing properties are registered correctly throughout the district.

Streets are named and buildings are allocated numbers when they are first built and then from time to time, to overcome practical difficulties or to accommodate new development, changes have to be made.

This exercise is necessary if properties are to be clearly and readily identified for purposes of delivery of mail, goods, services and more importantly, so that the emergency services can locate premises without delay.

The address database held at Malvern Hills District Council is maintained to the BS7666 standard of addressing as laid down by Central Government and reflects the geographical location of the property.  We are required to hold our Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG) in this format and submit to the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG) regularly.  This gazetteer is a central database of addresses that will enable the electronic delivery of property based information.  Each property is allocated a Unique Property Reference Number (UPRN) and this will enable all information relating to a property to be gathered together.

If you want to obtain addresses for a new development, redevelopment or conversion, or wish to change your house name, you can use one of our on-line forms to apply or email with your request. Requests for a new or amended address will only be accepted from the owner. If you are acting on behalf of the owner, the owner’s consent/instruction must be provided in writing.


Single Developments or Conversion

For a new dwelling that is not situated on a numbered road the new owner should supply a name for consideration. The owner will be the new owner of the property and not the developer, unless the developer and the eventual owner of the property are the same. The choice of name should be checked with surrounding properties to ensure no duplication, which will also be checked when received by us.  We will also contact with Royal Mail to see if they have knowledge of a similar named property in the locality. We check our information systems and if the name is satisfactory, then the new address is registered and confirmation sent to the owner accordingly. If there is an issue with the preferred name, we will request alternatives.

The address is then registered with Royal Mail, Emergency and Essential Services and internal departments of Malvern Hills District Council. It is the responsibility of property owners to inform their own personal contacts etc.

If the new property falls within a numbered street then a number will be allocated. If the property is within a numbered road, then ABCs are used along with the adjoining number (for example 12A, 12B, 12C...).

It is the responsibility of the house owner to display the house name or number clearly.


Change of House Name or Addition of House Name to a Numbered property

If you are the owner and would like to add a name to a numbered property or the owner and you wish to change its name you will need to contact the Council by using the online form or email with your request.

Please note, if your property uses an existing number any name will be an addition to the address. The property number must be still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence; for example:

'My House'
1 My Road

As an omission to use the Number will cause difficulties with deliveries and for the Emergency Services. Checks will be made to ensure there is no duplication with a nearby property or within a post code area before a name is made official. Once this is complete, you will be notified along with other internal and external bodies (which include Royal Mail, Ordnance Survey, emergency services, etc.).


New Development 

Any new development must be submitted to the Street Naming & Numbering process in a timely manner. The process for registering a new address can take up to 6-8 weeks, depending on the complexity of the development and new building or road names being agreed. You can either fill in the corresponding online form or email the information here

When submitting a request for a new address we require the following information. If you are using an online form, you will need to submit the following :

  • A location plan clearly identifying the new scheme in relation to any existing streets or means of access
  • A final approved detailed plan of the development clearly marked with the plots, units, apartments or flats numbers of the proposed scheme.
  • A final internal layout plan, if appropriate, for developments that are subdivided at unit or floor level e.g. a block of flats etc. The main entrance to the block shall be clearly marked.
  • The approved planning application number.
  • The Building Control application number, if applicable. Along with confirmation work has started/ when work will be starting on site, how far the build is along, and the estimated completion date
  • Proposed building name for a new property, if applicable. However if a street is numbered a new property will be required to be numbered into the street.

Failure to contact the Street Naming and Numbering Service will incur delays when you register for council tax or utility services. 


Street Naming and Numbering Procedure for New Development

As from 1 February 2018 the following procedures are now in place for the naming and numbering of all new developments, following a request from the developer:

  • The relevant Malvern Hills District Parish Councils and Town Councils have the responsibility for choosing the new street names for any new development within their boundaries, in accordance with the agreed street naming protocol.  Any street names contrary to the street naming protocol will need the approval of Malvern Hills District Council.
    • Any suggestions for a street name by a developer will be forward to the relevant Parish/Town council to consider when making their own suggestions, then the
    • Recommendation is made known to the developer.
    • If an agreement is not reached between the developer and the Parish Council the Local Member and Portfolio holder are advised.
    • The final decision rests with the Portfolio Holder and Head of Housing and Planning.
  • The numbering is submitted to the developer for agreement.
  • The postcode is requested from Royal Mail
  • The agreed addresses are notified to the Statutory Authorities and consultees.
  • The internal departments of Malvern Hills District Council are notified.
  • The developer is sent details to inform new purchasers.
  • An estimate for the provision of the street signs is sent to the developer
  • On receipt of payment from the Developer the signs are order and then delivered for the developer to erect them. Please ensure that any new street name signs are erected before the first property is occupied, this is for the benefit of delivery and services, particularly the emergency services. Any new street name signage must be in accordance with Malvern Hills District Council specification.

It is the responsibility of the owners and occupiers to ensure that the number allocated to a property is clearly marked in such a way so that it is in a prominent position and remains legible from the street. The number will always be retained even when owners and occupiers choose to give a name to their property

The new address will be entered in the Council address system which is submitted to the national address database, the National Land and Property Gazetteer.


Re-Numbering/Renaming of Existing Streets

On rare occasions it becomes necessary to rename or renumber a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when:

  • There is confusion over a street's name and/or numbering
  • A group of residents are unhappy with their street name
  • New properties are built in a street and there is a need for other properties to be renumbered to accommodate the new properties
  • The number of named-only properties in a street is deemed to be causing confusion for visitors, the delivery or emergency services.

Re-numbering of a street - existing residents will be contacted and their views taken into account. We will then consult the Royal Mail for their position on the issue. To change a street name we will contact the Parish/Town Council so that a consultation exercise can be carried out.  After this exercise a site notice will be posted on the end of that street for a period of 21 days to inform residents of the proposed change and also advising any objectors that they have the right to appeal to the Magistrates Court. Depending on whether an appeal has been lodged and the outcome of that appeal, the Site Notice will be replaced with an Order confirming the street name change.

This is a very time consuming process and we are only able to deal with one of these issues at any time. However if you think you have a street naming issue, please contact by email or at the address below.


Provision of Street Signs

The Council is responsible for ensuring that street name plates are provided and fitted in suitable positions. The statutory requirement is for a sign to be placed at the start and end of a road it is vital in the event of an urgent situation that you and your street can be located quickly by the Emergency Services.

The Council is also responsible for the repair and maintenance of street names plates when this becomes necessary either due to accidental damage, vandalism or normal wear and tear.

In the case of a new development, however, the developer is required to provide and erect the initial street name plates. These are purchased to the Council’s specification and the costs are covered by the developer. They are then maintained by the Council.

The funding available for the maintenance of street name plates is limited and therefore a list of works is maintained and the repair and replacement is on a priority basis.  There are a number of signs which are old but it they remain legible they will not be replace immediately.

To report a broken or vandalised or missing street name plate please either email the information to, fill in the corresponding form on the Report It page. 

Please be aware that Malvern Hills District Council has the responsibility to maintain street name plates only. Any other signage or issues with the public highway (such as village, directional, speed limit signs, lighting, etc.) is the responsibility of Worcestershire County Council Highways Department. A form can be found by visiting the Worcestershire County Council Highways Services website to report an issue. Alternatively the number for the Worcestershire Hub is 01905 763763.


Contact Us


Tel: 01684 862147

Street Naming & Numbering Service
Corporate Database Team for Malvern Hills & Wychavon District Councils
Civic Centre
Queen Elizabeth Drive
WR10 1PT


Policies and other information

Malvern Hills District Council formally adopted the street naming and numbering procedures in the Public Health Act 1925 in 2004.

The council's policy is also advised by the Town Improvement Clauses Act, Section 64 and 65 and based upon the data entry conventions and best practice for the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG).

The NLPG is owned and licensed by the Local Government Information House and is an implementation of the British Standard, BS 7666:2006 Parts 1 and 2.

All personal data held is processed in accordance with Data Protection Law. For further information please see our Privacy Policy on our website.