Planning Advice (Do I need planning permission ?)

All personal data held is processed in accordance with Data Protection Law. For more information please see our privacy note on our website.

Planning rules are complicated but there are tools we can recommend to help you work out if you do need to apply for it.  They do not, however, give you a definitive source of legal information.

In addition, in relation to householders there is a host of information on your responsibilities as a householder on the Planning Portal.  The Planning Portal is a Government's online service for planning.

Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are two separate things.

Do I need planning permission ?

Some extensions and alterations to your home can be carried out without requiring planning permission; this is known as permitted development.  What is permitted development?

Interactive guide

Interactive guides on the Planning Portal help you explore how to progress "common householder projects".

Other common household projects

There are a host of interactive guides to planning rules relating to common projects and the planning laws of England that relate to them.  These include those listed below:

Alternatively, if you are still uncertain as to whether you need planning permission, we do offer a "Do I need planning permission" service where we can provide you with a written response. 

Some domestic extensions and outbuildings may not require planning permission. If you require advice on whether a domestic development proposal requires planning permission please use one of the following forms.

Assessment Forms

The fee of £47.10 Householder or £55.10 Other (non-householder) must be received with your enquiry before your request can be dealt with.

You can pay by telephone (Tel. 01684 862221), using a credit or debit card. Please ensure you quote the payment reference and amount paid with your completed form.

The form can be sent to Planning Services by email to:

Or post: Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF.

Pre-application advice?

What is pre-application advice, how much is it ? where does it apply ?

Pre-application advice is when you know you require planning permission and a planning officer can provide you with written advice on the proposed household development. The guidance note explains how beneficial the service is to you and it us.

(the fee is exempt if the development is for the direct benefit of a disabled person (new dwellings excluded) and as such there would be no fee incurred to make a planning application).

If your property is listed you may like some advice from our conservation team - 

Dropped kerbs and crossovers

Planning will be required if the proposed access sits on a classified road. To find out click on the Worcestershire County Council (Classified and Unclassified roads) website and click on "Download now" open to find the road.

Even if planning permission is required or not, to create a new or extend a dropped kerb or pavement/verge crossing you will still need to contact Ringway Infrastructure Services for the works to be done.  Please click on the link for the procedure: Dropped Crossing Information Pack

Please note:  Irrespective of whether you require planning permission for a dropped kerb, consent will always be required from Ringway Infrastructure Services, Highways House, Warndon Depot, Pershore Lane, Warndon, Worcestershire.  WR4 0AA  Email:  Tele:  01905 751651.   For a drop kerb or pavement/verge crossing, an application will need to be made to Ringway Infrastructure Services to construct the vehicle access.

Further Information

Please note, pre-application advice and do I need planning permission enquiries are a chargeable service. Advice can not be given over the telephone.  Please complete and submit the above online pre application enquiry form. 

If you would like more information about a planning application contact:

Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF.

Telephone: 01684 862221 - between 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday

Other links:

RTPI (Royal Town Planning Institute) Planning Consultants Online

This is an online directory for RTPI planning consultants.

Planning Aid
Independent and professional advice is available to individuals and community groups who cannot afford to hire a planning consultant from Planning Aid on 0330 123 9244.  Email: