Nominees for Malvern Hills District Community Sports Awards revealed
Some of the district’s best sports men and women will come together to celebrate their achievements at this year’s prestigious Malvern Hills District Community Sports Awards.
The ninth annual event, which will be held on Thursday, 11 July, at The Bank House Hotel in Bransford, recognises sporting success as well as the commitment of the volunteers and coaches who support athletes and clubs across the district.
Run by Malvern Hills District Council in association with headline sponsor Freedom Leisure, there will be awards up for grabs in 12 different categories including ‘Positive Change of the Year’ and ‘Sports Personality of the Year’.
The keynote speaker has been confirmed as Paralympian Mel Nicholls who is a wheelchair racer, endurance handcyclist and adventurer. Mel will be telling her inspiring story, including her attempt to become the fastest person to handcycle from Land’s End to John O’Groats in June this year.
Cllr Tom Wells, Portfolio Holder for Community Services on Malvern Hills District Council, said: “We are delighted to be hosting the sports awards for another year in association with our headline sponsor Freedom Leisure. It is an opportunity to celebrate the sporting achievements of those individuals and groups across the district.
“As a council, we are committed to encouraging people to be more active and to look after their health and well-being. The awards shine a light on those making a positive impact on their community through sport which inspires others to get involved too.”
The full list of nominees:
1. Community Project of the Year (sponsored by Sports Partnership Herefordshire and Worcestershire):
- MTFC Junior Club Matchday Experience
- Pendock Spring Chicken Run
- The Friday Night Project
2. Inclusive Project of the Year (sponsored by Three Counties Showground):
- L&BBFC Inclusivity & Increased Participation Project
- Swim Inspiration
3. Sports Schools of the Year (sponsored by Rural South Worcestershire Community Safety Partnership):
- Pendock Primary School
- Tenbury CofE Primary Academy
4. Team of the Year (sponsored by Automated Packaging Systems):
- L&BBFC U12 Saints
5. Coach of the Year (sponsorship opportunity available):
- Adele Hodges - City of Worcester & Malvern Gymnastics Club
- Gemma Hinton – Dance in Motion Academy
- Jazz Kristy - City of Worcester & Malvern Gymnastics Club
6. Club of the Year (sponsored by Fortis Living):
- Kempsey Tennis Club
- Leigh & Bransford Badgers Football Club
- Malvern Buzzards Running Club
7. Positive Change of the Year (sponsored by YMCA Worcestershire):
- Bronwen Matthews – Malvern Splash
- Nicola Turrell – Malvern Buzzards Running Club
8. Volunteer of the Year (sponsored by Melton Group):
- Bradley Barnes – City of Worcester & Malvern Gymnastics Club
- Simeon Foreman – Malvern Buzzards Running Club
9. Young Female Sports Personality of the Year (sponsored by Malvern Panalytical):
- Bryony Heasman – Dance in Motion Academy
- Charlotte Martin – Worcester Crocodiles
- Sarah-Jane Ollis – Worcester Athletics
10. Young Male Sports Personality of the Year (sponsored by Cue Events):
- Charlie Bennett – Worcester Wolves Basketball Academy
- Daniel Day – Worcester Crocodiles
- Malachi Cashmore – Malvern Triathlon Club
11. Sports Personality of the Year (sponsored by Worcestershire County Cricket Club):
- Ellen Cochrane – Gaia Horsemanship
- Esme Ruff – Malvern Hills Riding Club
- Harriet Harnden – Malvern Cycle Sport
12. Unsung Hero of the Year (sponsored by Freedom Leisure):
- Lisa Stride-Turner – British Dressage
- Peter Daffin – Malvern Town Football Club
There is still one sponsorship opportunity available, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to request the Sponsorship Package.
Visit www.malvernhills.gov.uk/sports-awards for more information.