Our aim is to improve the housing standards for residents that are privately renting within the Malvern Hills district. We will achieve this by advising tenants, carrying out housing inspections and providing support to owners, leaseholders and landlords.
If you have a concern about a repair that is needed on your property, you should let your landlord/ housing officer or repairs team know in the first instance. By letting them know about the problem, you are providing the opportunity for the repair to be fixed. You should take note of the complaint details, such as the date and details.
If you do not receive a satisfactory response please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01386 565341 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice (Social housing tenants, work with your housing association thoroughly before contacting the Private Sector Housing department).
- If appropriate, the Property Standards Officer will visit your property after notifying your landlord of your complaint. It may not always be practicable to notify the landlord, as there may be emergency situations that need to be acted upon immediately.
- During this visit, your property will be inspected and assessed using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) guide. The risk assessments are based on the likelihood of an incident causing harm and what the severity of that outcome would be. The result of the assessment will determine the next step for the complaint.
Where ever possible we try to improve the standards of the property by working with the landlord, owner or leaseholder. However, in some circumstances, it is necessary to take formal action. This includes:
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Private sector landlords are required by law to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their property. Also where a carbon monoxide alarm is in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. a coal fire, wood burning stove). You can be fined up to £5,000 for not complying to this regulation.
Landlord and tenant advice
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- Worcestershire Regulatory Services – for advice and complaints regarding odour, noise, bonfires and rodents
- Client Services 01386 565018 – for advice and complaints regarding refuse collections, bulky waste collections and wheelie bins
- Homestamp - a range of useful information concerning private renting, from advice and guidance for tenants to technical guides for landlords
- Building Control 01684 862223
Private sector housing