Frequently Asked Questions

Below are the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions including links to internal webpages and external websites.


Please be advised that whilst our offices will be closed on 25, 28 and 29 December 2015 and 1 December 2016, no Local Land Charge Searches will be answered between 24 December 2015 and 4 January 2016 due to Worcestershire County Council Highway closure dates.

Wishing you all a Very Happy Christmas and New Year

News - Local Land Charges Register

The Government has concluded that charging a fee for a personal search of the Local Land Charge Register is incompatible with the Environmental Information Regulations 2004(EIR) and the underlying2003 EU Directive. 
Following this conclusion the Government is revoking the current £22.00 fee by amending the Local Land Charges Rules 1977. 
The amendment will come into force on the 17th August 2010 and Wychavon District Council will cease to carry out Personal Search enquiries..

  1. Q. What are your current fees?
    A. Please check Wychavon's fees
  2. Q. How can I submit a search to Wychavon District Council?
    A. We accept searches via the post, the DX mailing system, through The National Land Information Service (NLIS) we also have our own  on-line web-submission service.
  3. Q. How is the information held?
    A. All our information has been captured onto our Geographical Information System (GIS) and help will be given on using this system.
  4. Q. Can I access actual files and documents?
    A. Our information is given to you in the same format as it is held and provided to the Local Land Charges Department, captured onto out GIS system. Public Registers and public documents are now generally held electronically, some can be accessed on our web site.
  5. Q. Can information required to answer the Con29 be purchased on a question by question basis?
    A. No
  6. Q. Is the information only available during set times and is an appointment procedure in place?
    A. No information is now available on our web site through the My Local Area pages.
  7. Q. Does Wychavon accept client cheques?
    A. No, however we can take payment by debit or credit card over the phone.
  8. Q. Can I expedite a search?
    A. We do not offer an expedited service as over 97% of our searches are completed within 2 working days, however should you have any specific requirements we will always try to ensure we can meet these.
  9. Q. I need a copy of a previous search
    A. Copies of searches cost £5.50, please see our current fees
  10. Q. Does Wychavon District Council carry out the drainage search?
    A. No, you will need to request a search from Severn Trent Water Searches
  11. Q. What is your DX address?
    A. DX 25934 Pershore

  12. Q. I don't have DX?
    A. Post your search direct:
    Local Land Charges
    Wychavon District Council
    The Civic Centre
    Queen Elizabeth Drive
    WR10 1PT
  13. Q. My question isn't in this list!
    A. Email any questions you may have to the Local Land Charges team direct, or call them on 01386 565317 or 565485