Footpath Diversions (S257)

Rights of Way

A right of way is legally a highway and anyone can use them at any time. There are different types of rights of way some you can walk on while others you can ride, cycle or drive a vehicle on. For further information click here.

With the introduction of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (CROW), you can walk freely on mapped areas of mountain, moor, heath, down and registered common land without having to stick to paths. For further information click here.

Rights of way definitive map

Worcestershire County Council are the Highway Authority responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the Public Rights of Way network in Worcestershire. You can view the most up to date version of the Definitive Map on their Website. To report a problem with the public Rights of Way network or to apply for changes to the map, such as a deletion, addition or diversion of a route, contact the Countryside Service.

Footpath diversion orders

As a planning authority Malvern Hills District Council has the power to deal with applications to divert or stop up (close) public rights of way under s.257 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, where the diversion/stopping up is to enable development which has been (or would be) granted planning permission. However, we must be satisfied that it is necessary for any path to be diverted or extinguished.

If you wish to apply for a path to be diverted under s.257 please see the guidance notes and application form below.

Listed below are notices of public footpath orders and statements explaining why the order has been made, and confirming the date by which comments on the order should be received by the district council.

Broadheath 600

Malvern 748

Eldersfield 678

Grimley 537

Hallow 552

Leigh Sinton 704

Castlemorton 519

Alfrick 537

Alfrick 678

Holt 507

Bransford 529

Welland 520, 521 & 527

Kempsey 573

Powick 635

Martley 695, 696, 699, 700 and 701

Clifton on Teme 635, 632, 587

Malvern 677