Flooding and land drainage (enforcement action & consents)

If you have a problem with flooding, please ensure that you contact the most appropriate body to deal with the issue.

We receive regular flood warning information from the Environment Agency so that we have a good picture of how floods may develop. Information about flood warnings and river levels can be found through calling the Environment Agency Floodline on 0345 988 1188 or on the Environment Agency website. 

What to do before, during and after a flood.


Sandbags are only partially effective for flood defence purposes provided that they are used in conjunction with a suitable impermeable membrane. They can only be relied upon as a temporary measure, so where there is a regular need for some form of flood defence, we suggest a more easily deployed barrier or another form of property protection. For more information contact the National Flood Forum for independent advice and information.

In the event of flooding sandbags are available from the Council Depot in Pendragon Close, Malvern WR14 1GR, and may also be available at East Waterside, Upton. These are limited to 6 filled sandbags per household, a limited number of sandbags may be availableIn addition, rest centres and other forms of assistance may be organised by the Emergency Management Team as necessary. 


It may not always be possible for communities to be reached immediately during an emergency such as flooding. The government suggest that communities could use local resources and knowledge to help themselves during an emergency. Useful links:

Land Drainage and Flooding

Land Drainage Functions are carried out by South Worcestershire Land Drainage Partnership (SWLDP).

Section 25 Enforcements

Under Section 25 of the Act any landowner who has a watercourse passing through or abutting their land is deemed a riparian owner and has a legal duty to keep it clear and free from obstruction to flow. As Drainage Authority the SWLDP has permissive legal powers to undertake enforcement action where appropriate. To report obstructed watercourses please contact the Land Drainage Inspector on 01684 862145.

Consenting structures within a watercourse

Under Section 23 of the Act any alterations to, or proposed new structures that may affect flow in a watercourse may require Land Drainage Consent before works commence. Those requiring consent are shown in the ‘consentable structures' document.

Consent is required to be sought for the features shown whether the proposed works are permanent or temporary. To apply for consent or discuss any structures that may require it contact Debbie Bowen 01386 565377 or debbie.bowen@wychavon.gov.uk. Please note that consent cannot be given retrospectively so this should be done before any works are commenced.

All works in, on, or near a watercourse should comply with the Environment Agency pollution control recommendations in ‘PPG 5 - Works in or near a watercourse'. A summary is available below and the full version can be found on the Environment Agency website.

The designation of flood defence structures

Under the Flood and water Management Act 2010 the SWLDP has powers to designate features. These are private structures that although are not designed as flood defence structures provide a flood defence function. Designation involves protecting them from alteration without prior consent. Further information can be found in the Designation Factsheet.

For more information see: Flooding Information and Advice.