FAQs Electoral Registration

Electoral Registration is now done on an individual basis, which uses your National Insurance Number to verify your identity.

Electoral Registration is not linked to Council Tax, and everyone is responsible for registering themselves.

The fastest way to register to vote is by going online.

You can register to vote by going online, or by telephoning the Elections office on 01684 862200.

You may also register by completing a form which will be sent to you if your name is added to a Household Enquiry Form (HEF). During our annual autumnal electoral canvass, HEFs are sent out to every household in the district.

Whichever way you choose to register, you will need a few details, including your National Insurance Number and Date of Birth.

If you are unsure of your National Insurance Number, this can be found on your National Insurance card or on official paperwork such as payslips or letters about benefits or tax credits. The National Insurance helpline is 0300 200 3500.

This country is a democracy. Every day, vital decisions affecting all our lives are taken by Members of Parliament and local councillors elected by the people. 

You can help choose them by voting. 

If you don't register, you won't be able to vote, and you will lose your chance to influence the way things are run in your town or village, in the Malvern Hills district, in the county, and in the whole country.

Anyone who believes their safety would be at risk if their name appeared on the electoral register can apply to be registered anonymously, although evidence would have to be provided for this e.g. Court order documents, police attestation etc.

In order to register anonymously, you will need either:

• evidence of a court order that is currently in force to protect you, or

• attestation from a qualified person in support of your application. People qualified to support applications: 

If you need an application form to register anonymously, please email elections@malvernhills.gov.uk 

If you are registered anonymously, instead of your name and address appearing on the electoral register a code will be added to the end of the section of the register for your polling district. 

Instead of including you on the annual canvass form, the Electoral Registration Officer will contact you separately and in such a way as to not reveal that you are registered anonymously. 

You will receive an enveloped poll card and you must take this with you to be able to vote. 

Anyone who is registered anonymously may not sign a candidate's nomination papers. 

Anonymous registrations must be renewed every year; we will send you a renewal form shortly before your renewal is due.

The Electoral Register can be viewed by appointment with Electoral Services, please contact them by telephone on 01684 862200 or by email: elections@malvernhills.gov.uk

The Electoral Register is only viewable in person, and previous years are not able for inspection. We do not publish the Electoral Register on the Internet. 

There is also another version of the Electoral Register, called the Open Register (see below).

By law, registration officers must keep two registers - the electoral register and the open register (previously known as the edited register).

The electoral register is used solely for electoral purposes.

The open register has to be made available for purchase.

Election staff, political parties, candidates and holders of elected office use the register for electoral purposes. 

Your local council and the British Library hold copies that anyone may look at under supervision. 

A copy is also held by the EC, the Boundary Commissions (which set constituency boundaries for most elections) and the Office for National Statistics. 

The council can use the register for duties relating to security, enforcing the law and preventing crime.

The register is used when calling people for jury service.

Credit reference agencies can buy the register to ensure credit applicants are registered to vote on the electoral roll.

They help other organisations to check the names and addresses of people applying for credit. They also use it to carry out identity checks when trying to prevent and detect money laundering. 

It is a criminal offence for anyone to supply or use the register for anything else.

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. 

For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. 

The personal data in the register must always be processed in line with data protection legislation. 

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. 

Removing your details from the open register would not affect your right to vote.

All registration methods give the option to opt out of the open register. If you wish to opt out, simply tick the box when filling in the form.

You can opt-out of the open register by emailing elections@malvernhills.gov.uk

Users of the open register include: 

• Businesses checking the identity and address details of people who apply for their services such as insurance, goods hire and property rental, as well as when they shop online; 

• Businesses selling age-restricted goods or services, such as alcohol and gambling online, to meet the rules on verifying the age of their customers; 

• Charities, to help with fundraising and contacting people who have made donations; 

• Debt collection agencies when tracing people who have changed address without telling their creditors; 

• Landlords and letting agents when checking the identity of potential tenants; 

• Online directory firms to help users of the websites find people, such as when reuniting friends and families; 

• Organisations tracing and identifying beneficiaries of wills, pensions and insurance policies; 

• Private sector firms to verify details of job applicants. 

To change your name on the Electoral Register please email elections@malvernhills.gov.uk and attach a scan of evidence of your name change e.g. a marriage or civil partnership certificate; an overseas marriage or civil partnership certificate; an amended birth certificate or a deed poll.