Dangerous Wild Animals Licence

Licence summary

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act of 1976 aims to ensure that where private individuals keep dangerous wild animals, they do so in circumstances which create no risk to public and safeguard the welfare of the animals.
The Act does not apply to any dangerous wild animals kept in a zoo; pet shop or registered scientific establishment. 

These premises are registered under their own specific legislation.
Licences are required for any animal which appears on the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 Schedule. 

Licences are issued by Malvern Hills District Council and will only be granted when the Council is satisfied that it would not be contrary to public interest on the grounds of safety or nuisance; that the applicant is a suitable person; and the animals' accommodation is adequate and secure. 

Licenses are issued for one year to be renewed on 1 January of each year.
At additional cost to the applicant, we arrange a veterinary inspection every year as the legislation requires.

Eligibility Criteria

Where the council grants a licence, it will impose conditions which cover issues such as:
A requirement that the animal be kept only by a person or persons named on the licence;

  • Restrictions on the movement of the animal from the premises as specified on the licence; and
  • A requirement that the licence holder has a current insurance policy which ensures both licence holders and others against any liability caused by the animal

Application Evaluation Process

Persons wishing to keep a dangerous wild animal on their premises must make an application for a licence from the Council, if the animal is included in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 Schedule.
For further information please contact: wrsenquiries@worcsregservices.gov.uk

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period,
please contact wrsenquiries@worcsregservices.gov.uk.

Apply by Post

Telephone or e-mail us to ask for an application form, or download an application form. 
Send the completed form with application fee and proof of insurance to: Licensing, Malvern Hills District Council, The Council Offices, Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3AF

Failed Application Redress

Please contact your wrsenquiries@worcsregservices.gov.uk.in the first instance.
Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact wrsenquiries@worcsregservices.gov.uk. in the first instance.
Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court or, in Scotland, to their local Sheriff.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice.

From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade Associations

Please Note - Grant of a licence does not mean that Malvern Hills District Council have given planning permission: consent under town and country planning law may still be required.