Conservation Area Appraisals
The conservation section has embarked upon a programme of conservation area appraisals and management strategies including a review of the boundaries.
Every local authority is obliged to undertake this work under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990.
The purpose of the review and appraisal is to:
- Identify and reassess the special qualities of the conservation area.
- Look at the effectiveness of the boundaries and assess whether they should be altered, extended or reduced.
- Engage and consult the local community and businesses during the process.
- Prepare a strategy for its future management.
Designated Conservation Area review and appraisals
Listed below are the appraisals which have now been formally adopted.
- Clifton-upon-Teme Conservation Area
- Hallow Conservation Area
- Kempsey Conservation Area
- Malvern Link
- Malvern Trinity
- Tenbury Wells
- Great Malvern
Comment on Current Reviews
Malvern Wells Conservation Area and Little Malvern Conservation Area review
As part of our statutory duties as a Local Planning Authority we are currently reviewing the Malvern Wells Conservation Area. The conservation area was originally designated in 1973. The boundary was reviewed and extended in 1995 to incorporate additional areas, including Little Malvern.
As part of the current review, it is proposed to separate the existing conservation area into two new areas: Malvern Wells and Little Malvern. The review is also considering whether the current boundary is still appropriate. To accompany this work, Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Strategy documents have been drafted to explain the special interest of both areas and to safeguard their future preservation and enhancement.
A period of public consultation ran from 22nd July and closed on 6th September and a public meeting was held at the Wyche Institute on 25th July. The comments received as part of the public consultation are currently being considered and may be viewed here.
Our recommendations will be reported to the Executive Committee on Tuesday, 19th November and the report and accompanying documents will be available to view on the website in the week preceding this meeting.
The initial draft documents for the proposed Malvern Wells Conservation Area and Little Malvern Conservation Area can still be viewed below:
- Malvern Wells Conservation Area - Character Appraisal and Management Strategy
- Malvern Wells Conservation Area - Boundary Map
- Malvern Wells Conservation Area - Character Area Map
- Malvern Wells Conservation Area - Feature Map 1
- Malvern Wells Conservation Area - Feature Map 2
- Malvern Wells Conservation Area - Feature Map 3
- Malvern Wells Conservation Area - Report to Executive Committee 26.3.2019
- Little Malvern Conservation Area - Character Appraisal and Management Strategy
- Little Malvern Conservation Area - Boundary Map
- Little Malvern Conservation Area - Feature Map
- Little Malvern Conservation Area - Report to Executive Committee 25.6.2019
Further help and advice
Please email the Conservation Team firstname.lastname@example.org